The Case For Siblings (When Mom Has Another Baby)

Loved this article…every word resonated.

“But everyone else seems to think that a new baby is bad for the other kids. Dozens of times, I’ve had strangers peer around my enormous belly to coo at the toddler, “Aww … now you won’t get to be the baby anymore.”

Thanks, lady. Thanks for informing my child that she’s suffering. Luckily, she doesn’t know what you’re talking about—and neither do you.”

Read the rest of The Case for Siblings

22 Responses to “The Case For Siblings (When Mom Has Another Baby)”

1. Jessica says:

I love that article! Thanks for sharing. I’m prayerfully looking forward to my husband agreeing to have another baby!

2. jen in AL says:

love this quote:A woman once told me that she’d decided not to have a second child, because she “couldn’t do that” to her son. Couldn’t do what? Live? Love someone, and be loved? My parents gave me seven allies in a hard world. Change and loss will happen anyway—better to have the good company of brothers and sisters when it happens to you. thanks for posting this. blessings, jen in al

3. Darcy says:

Love this post! We were blessed a few weeks ago with a sweet baby girl. She joins her big brother and three big sisters, ages 7 1/2 and under(and two siblings in heaven who we meet when we join them there). All the children just adore her! I think having babies is so wonderful for the entire family. I pray that we will be blessed with more!

4. Heather says:

Isn’t it a shame that people cannot get past the fact that children are a BLESSING not a curse! All stems from selfishness! I just had a miscarriage (my 4th one) but have 11 beautiful arrows to hold on this earth, and one of the hurtful comments I have ever heard, “Well, you have so many others that you won’t even miss another one!” My messed up this world is! I can’t wait to hopefully be blessed with #12 to hold on this earth, and yes, my heart aches for the ones I never got to hold here no matter how many God gives me! Someday! 🙂

• adminnv says:

I am so sorry for that comment…that IS so hurtful. After hearing “The Hopeful Theology of Miscarriage” by Doug Phillips at The Baby Conference, I have a new understanding and appreciation for unborn babies. He suggested that a woman could take great comfort in knowing God had allowed her to be the vehicle by which another soul is ushered into the Kingdom. I thought that was brilliant.

• Heather says:

Thank you! I have always known those babies are in heaven and I WILL get to meet them someday, but to hear it the way you put it is so beautiful! Whether they are on this earth or not, God still cherishes them and used my husband and I to give life to one of his little soldiers no matter how long they lived! Thank you again! A breath of fresh air you are to me! Also, thank you for being so willing to stand up to your beliefs in a world that despises God’s truth! Gives me courage to do the same!

5. Hi, Kelly – Thanks so much for the link! You have a lovely family, and a lovely website as well.

Simcha

6. Kelly says:

Simcha,

Oh, and to let you know, you missed the “d” in your name url so the link doesn’t work. 😉 I’ll fix it unless you prefer I don’t.

• <>

Oops! Yes please. Not really a morning person – thanks. oh, and to let _you_ know: I saw the picture of your family and said to my husband, “WOW, look at all those kids!” Then we counted, and realized it’s 8. Like we have.

7. Ginger says:

I have one sibling and we were separated during our teen years by divorce. (I lived w/ my dad, she lived w/ my mom.) I was a terrible roommate in college b/c I didn’t know how to live w/ other people. I was used to having my own room, my own things, my own everything. How ill-prepared I was for real life. I couldn’t do that to my kids!
    The only thing in a big family is: the baby of a big family is much more spoiled than the baby of just two or three. I feel sorry for my daughter when she is *only* served by her doting husband. LOL
    Blog post idea: how to teach the baby of a big family to be selfless.

8. […] to Kelly @generationcedar.com for bringing this article to my attention. It resonated with me as […]

9. Kendra says:

Oh it always makes me so sad when people act like children are a curse instead of a blessing. It’s such a prevailing thought-process in America today. We are expecting our first child in December and we are overjoyed! We will be happy with however many children the Lord provides us, but we are hoping that this baby girl will grow up with siblings to love and play with. It’s just wild for me to think of people not wanting more children because they’re afraid it would hurt their child’s ego…so backwards!!

10. Charity says:

Kelly, It is amazing to me to see how God uses His children to encourage, enspire, and uplift one another! This was the perfect thing for me to read today, as we’ve just learned that we are expecting our fourth little blessing. We are elated, but fear and dread all the comments. Thank you for posting this!

What an awesome post! Loved the entire article. Thanks!

12. Rebekah says:

This is so true! A baby provides more opportunity for love, nurture, service, and fun, fun, fun! Our youngest has brought so much joy to us and the children, just as each baby before him did!

13. Margaret says:

Love it, and so true.

I am *so* glad my kids have their brothers. Right now my three are a rambunctious little hoarde, and entertain each other well, and love each other, and learn the basics of relating to others during their days together. I’ve definitely had it harder with my youngest as he turned three without a younger sibling to help him move up into big-kid-hood. My little guys are going to be a formidable alliance as they get older. lol

They and we are hoping and praying for more siblings for them. The world doesn’t recognize the beauty of an expanding family, but my kids do!

14. liz says:

This was a fantastic article. Just great!

15. Sarah says:

That was a really great article. Thanks for sharing! One point: if you hold out on having more kids because of “the baby,” you’re forgetting that babyhood is something that child will have to grow out of sooner or later. What goes along with being the baby is usually a focus on oneself, being petted and spoiled and the center of attention.

16. Steve says:

Such a wonderful article! I have no clue how you managed to write this report..it’d take me long hours. Well worth it though, I’d assume. Have you considered selling ads on your website?

17. Thanks for uploading this text and resources its really help full for my interests. Bruna Ellebracht