Be Still My Soul

Behold the power of the Almighty…

It says “house”, but only the foundations are left.

“When the whirlwind passes…the righteous has an everlasting foundation.” Proverbs 10:25

Notice the trees…if you can’t tell, they are almost ALL blown over. From the ground, there is nothing left standing.  Even the grass is gone in many places. The aerial view gives a little better picture of the breadth of this storm. It is one of the most breath-taking, hard-to-believe sights you have ever seen. Many people have expressed that they have seen damage from hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc., but have never seen damage so extensive as what is in our valley.  It looks like this for about 4 miles, then it picked up, and set down again.

But you know what? It is well with my soul. Well, most days 😉

And the refrain keeps playing in my head:

“Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.”

22 Responses to “Be Still My Soul”

1. Quinn says:

I see that foundation and knowing where you rode out the storm thought of this one too:

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
    That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
    He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
    And covers me there with His hand,

That is an amazing and devastating image…

2. pam says:

I’ve been thinking of you often, and praying. I am glad that it is ‘mostly’ well with your soul. I am upset with myself that it is not so well with my soul and how ashamed I am to admit that. I want it to be well. Have no reason not to shout praises to God for all the ways He has blessed. In my case, as I suppose in everyone’s, it is about dreams, hopes, and longings un-met. And don’t I know that Christ does fill such voids, and only He can. I’m just trying to mesh ‘what I know’ with ‘how I feel’ and they are not connecting!
    And I know that it’s about habit, and ‘taking captive’ thoughts to the obedience of Christ. About replacing the negative spiraling thoughts when they first make their appearance; for that which is lovely, virtuous, humble, and Christ focused. But what I know isn’t enough. That’s why I’m blessed by your post. That you’ve found the way for Him to be enough; well, most days. I guess I thought I’d share that with someone that will give grace. And I know you can. So thank you for listening without casting that shocked glance that I cast enough at my own self. Pam

Pam,

“I’m just trying to mesh ‘what I know’ with ‘how I feel’ and they are not connecting!”…

I hear you SO clearly. I am here many days. It is a battle of the mind, will and feelings. We are in a war. The enemy of our souls would love to destroy us through our feelings, despite what we know. Keep fighting, sister. You are not alone.

3. Leslie from Virginia says:

Kelly,

I love what you said to Pam….I am praying for you. (and Pam)
    Keep resting in TRUTH…..feelings are just that…feelings. The LORD never changes…keep finding refuge in those “Everlasting Arms,” dear friend!
    “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before you…” Deut.33:27
    ((hug))

4. Amy says:

When we were first married, we weathered a hurricane. We had no phone, power or running water for 2 months, but the damage was nowhere near so extensive as what I see in your pictures. Sending prayers and encouragement your way!

Amy

5. Candace says:

That hymn is one that our family has relied on in every tragedy we have experienced. When we lost our first child (still born @ 33 weeks), the Lord used that hymn to comfort our souls in that storm. When we experienced a miscarriage with our 5th that hymn of comfort was there. It’s a gracious reminder that the Lord is in control of it all and “What ere my God ordains is right!” On the hard days it is a blessing to refer to those sacred hymns to up lift the spirit. May our great and good God grant your family strength in these days.

6. Jasmine says:

Kelly, the hymnal, It is well with my soul – has special meaning to me as well. The author wrote the hymnal after losing his daughters and wife to a shipwreck.

His faith and words in an everlasting God causes me to anchor onto a grace and hope that has power to give life when life doesn’t make sense.

I’ve been praying for you and yours, Kelly.

Keep strong.

Phil 4:13

7. Natalie says:

Wowser. That is incredible. What an awesome picture for posterity’s sake though. Thank you for the card…that was fun to get, and I’m amazed you sent it with all you’ve got going. I keep finding things out about you where I think, “That’s ME!” I used to teach high school English. I have sung all my life and used to record for various things. We have the same theology…the same passions…the same entrepreneurial spirit. I would be going bonkers in your shoes right now…and I think you wrote something recently that sounded like you might be a going little bonkers yourself at times. : ) We’re headed out west this summer to visit relatives in Moscow, Idaho (members of Doug Wilson’s church)and California. 15 days camping on the road with 8 kids. When I’m tempted to freak out, I’ll be thinking of you and it will help me count my blessings. BUT…if we were heading south, I’d be all about coming to see you. The things we could talk about…maybe someday. If you and your family are ever needing to travel up to MN…(you know, to cool off…) you’ve got a place to stay! God’s grace and peace rest on you this week!

Natlie,

Praying for you to be able to keep the “bonkers” to a minimum 😉 And any time you guys decide to take a detour to the South, we’ll leave the light on for ya!

I love the hymn “Be Still, My Soul”, Kelly. It brings back fond memories of going to my grandparents’ house next door to practice piano when I was growing up. This song was my grandpa’s favorite hymn, and he would ask me to play it for him from time to time. He endured a lot of hardship in his 95 years (death of his first wife in the 1918 flu epidemic after only a couple months of marriage, death of his firstborn–my dad’s only sibling–in World War II, six heart attacks, two strokes, and the death of my grandma in their early 90’s), but “Be Still, My Soul” always brought him peace.

God does so many beautiful things through music. His power and majesty, and His peace and comfort are proclaimed so effectively through the words of hymns like this. Thank you for this post, Kelly. It’s a lovely reminder of God’s infinite mercy through all circumstances.

Praying God’s blessings on you and your family!

9. Isn’t it wonderful and comforting to have all those hymns tucked away for times like these! So glad that God’s unchanging Truth is ministering to you during this very difficult time. And thankful that you are allowing us a small glimpse of how this trial has affected your family. Many blessings to you!

10. KTHunter says:

How terrifying and how astounding. I thank God your family lived through such a storm. The scars on the land are heartbreaking, but at the same time, you still have your hands to plant new trees that will shade your descendants and time to create an even more beautiful haven than was there before. Hold on to the memories of what it was, but also dream about what in the future it can be, not just for you but for your great-grandchildren. The foundation is still there to build upon and to create that “joyful end”. The family that creates the home is still there. The wood from the fallen trees can keep someone warm in the winter, or be used to make furniture or other useful things. The open land can be a blank page on which to reshape a place for generations to come. Destruction can make way for creation. It’s definitely a struggle to get back to the point of creating, but you will get there. You are one determined lady with lots of help (and Help) on your side.

“The open land can be a blank page on which to reshape a place for generations to come.”

You can’t imagine how soothing words like these are…just for someone else to say, “it’s going to be good”, is such an encouragement to me!

11. Kristen says:

I love that song, Kelly! Both the words and the melody just make my heart ache. Several years ago I was in a mother’s group and one of the gals had just passed away from a long battle with cancer. A young woman with 3 small children. Since I was the chaplain for the group I was asked to say a few words at our next meeting and I had no idea what to say. What do you say? So, I just typed up the words to this song and 40 women sang it a capella and then I prayed.

12. Well most days! I love your honesty. Keep thinking of the eternal home. No more night. No more day. No more tears.

Wow. The destruction is awful, but the grace is so amazing! Praying for you and yours to find all the beauty that is within the ashes.

And KTHunter put it beautifully. I’d like to second her sentiments. Your situation (and that of other believers in the same situation) reminds me of Job, what he had taken away (not by God) was recompensed in such abundance it overflowed! Our God is the same today as He was then. His love for His children pours through many channels: His presence, His peace, His hope, His provision, His abundance, His other children rising up to help and supernatural healings of the body, mind and land (and too many others to list, I don’t ever want to limit Him!).

As we have two people living with us for free right now, we haven’t been able to send any help, but you have been in my prayers.

14. Stephanie R. says:

I saw this picture on another website & immediately knew it was the Alpha Ranch, Cedar House, & our soon to be home. God has a plan for The Crawfords, Liveretts, Russells… and it IS GOOD! Still lots of love & prayers from our family.

15. I’m so glad to ‘hear’ from you. You were in my prayers this morning again, as you have been almost daily since this devastation took place. Even though I don’t ‘know’ you, you are in my heart, and I still speak to the kids often of you all, and what you must be going through.
    God is faithful, and yes, you have much to be thankful for, but these are still trials that most of us have never had to go through. May God’s presence uphold you, and may His peace that passeth understanding surround you x

Thank you so much for your prayers and the reminder of it. We are dealing poorly with fear in storms–and boy there seem to be more storms this month than I can ever remember–sometimes several in a day. I have one child who gets physically ill and shakes all over during the slightest hint of bad weather. I had to pull off the road today twice during heavy rain simply because I’m afraid of a tree falling on us. We are NOT given the spirit of fear…”spirit”…hmmmm…my friend pointed that out. But, this is still such a battle of my flesh! You can pray that this fear would leave our family.

16. […] Be Still My Soul (my heart still aches. And I don’t even know her…) […]