On Building a House and Scrap Wood

Things are coming along nicely with our house! (If you’re new, read about our storm.) Through God’s providence, my husband has been working for my Dad in construction for the last 4 years or so. So this project–his first house–has been challenging, but not too much for him to do. It has been a wonderful learning experience. My oldest son has been able to join him most days and all he is learning is invaluable as well. Another blessing from the storm!

We’ve come this far mostly by the generosity and pure love of volunteers helping Aaron. We are so grateful! Our goal is to celebrate Christmas in our new home. It will likely be a race with time, but we’re going for it! My husband is tired, battling pneumonia but a real trooper. He’s like Superman crossed with the Energizer Bunny and I think he is so awesome!

I asked him to bring home some scrap wood and a few of us are working on some home decor projects. It satisfies my creative urge and my passion for upcycled decor at the same time. 😉 AND…I am toying around with a pickled-pine look to do in our bedroom. We have an abundance of trees to mill since nearly every last tree in the whole place was blown down. I think it’s kind of cool to be able to use the trees both for the cost-efficiency and the sentimental value.

I glued together some rough-cut 2 x 4’s.

To get the pickled look, I painted with glaze (you could also use watered-down paint). It’s hard to see the actual color in this picture but I used a light teal/blue shade. I was thrilled to discover that this exact look is what I was trying to achieve for my bedroom walls. When dried, I sanded around the edges and corners for a distressed look.

Then I revealed that my son, indeed, got all of my artistic ability.  I’m probably going to rub a light coat of stain over this to distress it a bit more.

Alexa’s turned out MUCH better. I’m thinking of making her an offer for it 😉 She painted her boards with watered-down acrylic paint and used stencils.

Thank you for your continued prayers as we walk in faith and trust Him for all our needs. He is more than sufficient.

22 Responses to “On Building a House and Scrap Wood”

*smiles* So beautiful! I’m so happy for you all with the progress you’ve made on your house.

We’ll be praying for your husband, Kelly, as he battles the pneumonia. God bless you all as you continue your walk of faith.

2. jen in AL says:

Amazing!!!! It looks so beautiful!!!!! we are praying for you all! love your projects! blessings, Jen

So excited for you and your house! Praying for Aaron for supernatural healing and strength and for discernment on rest (if he should rest or keep going).

4. Jo Ann says:

I am so glad that your home is coming along and everyone is doing well. I have such respect for how your family and the many other families have all handled your losses in the storms and how you are always open to seeing your gain as they go hand in hand. Thank you for blessing me and my family so much by your testimony. I have such deep respect for how you all have glorified God through this time in your life. It’s been so touching to read your words Kelly. I hope your husband is feeling better soon. You guys are always close in our prayers. You guys are incredible and I am so grateful to have found your blog!

5. Renata says:

Hi Kelly
    It looks like it is coming along well. Praying for your hubby ~ for healing & for extra energy to get it done in time for Christmas. I love your creations – & you & your daughter sure are gifted artists!
    We continue to pray for you guys
    Blessings
    Renata:)

6. Charity says:

What a precious post. So wonderful to hear a woman talking so highly (admiring) her husband. We continue to pray for you and your family. 🙂

7. Kim M says:

Very nice! I love it that you are going to use the trees.

8. Miss Laura says:

Like like like the art!!!!
    Now I feel like going on a creative binge… gotta get me some scrap wood:))

9. Laura says:

Hello Kelly,
    An owner of a natural food store gave me a suggestion for anyone struggling with lung difficulties. She said that she had been a smoker for years, and after she quit, she still contracted bronchitis every year for years. So some book she read suggested to do this:
    Buy 7 regular sized bottles of hydrogen peroxide.
    Every night for 7 consecutive nights, draw a a bath as hot as you can stand it and deep enough to soak in it(as much as possible). Add the whole bottle of peroxide and soak until the water gets cool. She said that after doing this, she had a few days of violent coughing and hacked up all the black ashy stuff in her lungs and nver contracted bronchitis again. I have never tried it, but at about .50 a bottle, if it doesn’t work all you are out is a few dollars and a little time. God bless!
    Laura Ayars

10. Marcie says:

Funny that you used the term energizer bunny – Zach has used the same term to describe your hard working man!

11. Hi Kelly,

So happy for your progress on your home. Praying that Aaron continues to recover well.

Out of curiosity, did you keep the same floorplan from the old house? Or did you iron out any problem areas?

Hope you have a lovely week.

God bless you all.

In Him

Meredith

The basement is the same–it was not destroyed in the tornado but heavily damaged with water and so we had to “gut” it. But on the main level, though we had the same “footprint” (minus the large dining room where we hosted catering events/weddings), we changed it up. Very open–living room, dining room and kitchen are all in the same open space. I hope to post pictures as it gets nearer completion.

12. Cheri says:

Lookin’ good! 🙂

13. Hello, your internet site isn’t working for me for some reason…I’m utilizing IE six and getting very little on this site… house hour

14. Brian Eyman says:

Now to business: this is not an exploitation/grindhouse movie, don’t let the title fool you.

15. […] Update: On Building and Scrap Wood […]