The True Meaning of Home Lies in Our True Identity! (Part 2)

In the introduction to this series about “the hope for society lying in the real meaning of home”, a commenter “clarified” that Jesus is the Hope for society.

Yes! And the two, actually, are not exclusive. Listening to a sermon today brought a profound epiphany that perfectly explains:

What Jesus did for us was offer us the chance to become new creatures. THE MOST IMPORTANT part of that, as it relates to the way we live, is that our identity is found in Him.

Wait before you just casually pass that by…it’s packed with more meaning than you might realize.

In Genesis, God declared man’s identity: “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness”. This is huge! Our purpose for living is to mirror His glory in all we do. Even those who aren’t His reflect His attributes at times.

But for the believer, we must know that our purpose is to fulfill the mission of reflecting our Creator in every part of life. This is why we were created.

“Our identity determines our life course.” (Mark Driscoll)

So, as that relates to the purpose of this series, our lives, our homes, reflect whether we understand who we are in Christ.

We are living in a culture where, even those who claim Christ, have traded their true identity for trying to find it in the worship of idols. Idols of consumerism, idols of self-worth, of people, of recreation–looking to achieve their identity rather than understanding they have already received it.

This is what has propelled every rebellion under the sun. A refusal to accept the design of our Creator, to obey Him, to fulfill His purposes for us, to find our worth in our created place. It started in the garden, with a desire to “be something more” than they already were. They were blessed. And it wasn’t enough.

So how do we reflect God’s image in our homes, families, marriages? What does it look like to mirror His likeness in all we do?

• Begin with truly renewing your mind with your true identity. Let go of the fear of man, the drive to become something outside of who you already are, the need to “be better” or “measure up”. You are┬ácomplete, whole and ready to be equipped “for every good work”. Fighting against your identity in Christ will only bring misery.
  • As a wife, a mom and a woman, study the Scriptures and find out how your life is to reflect the Creator. This manifests itself in a million ways from your gift of art, to your role in your home. to your dress, your speech and your responsibilities.
  • Understand that the primary picture of Christ and His church is embedded in your marriage. Which is where “home” begins. Begin to pour yourself into becoming “Christ to the world” through your marriage. What are some characteristics of Christ and His church? Love, submission, worship, communion (fellowship) unity, fruitfulness, forgiveness, respect, sacrifice.
  • Begin to see your home as the grounds for growing this picture of the GOSPEL. The soil must be fertile for spiritual growth, the atmosphere must be healthy for emotional growth, the conversations must flourish for fellowship and mental growth, and every effort must be made for unity, discipleship and fruitfulness.

These are primarily spiritual aspects but it must begin there. (We’ll begin to talk about practical implications in the next post.) Right thinking about who we are, what our purpose is and how that affects our lives and homes is crucial.

We live in a culture with mostly wrong thinking. Renewing is in order and a set of blinders, with a face like flint, set to the Son will aid our mission.

16 Responses to “The True Meaning of Home Lies in Our True Identity! (Part 2)”

1. Lori says:

Ever since we have learned who we are in Christ, our lives have changed! We absolutely can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us. We are dead to sin and freed from sin so we can walk in newness of life! Renewing our minds continually with all Christ has done for us brings so much peace and joy. Great post!

2. Rachel says:

I can’t thank you enough for speaking truth in the midsts of culture, even in christian circles, who is afraid of hurting feelings or offending. If these things matter to a society–and I believe they do, NOTHING should keep us quiet if we truly love as Christ loved. Just wanted you to know I appreciate your gift and your willingness to “glorify your Creator” with it.

3. Ponder Woman says:

Thank you so much for writing this! I appreciate everything you write on – you always have the ability to cause me to pause and reflect on whether I’m where God wants me or not.

I’m really looking forward to the rest of this series (hurry! ;) ) because I sometimes feel like I’m at home, sure, but I’m not REALLY at home. You know?

4. Laura says:

I will tell you what, when the Lord brought conviction upon my heart for my own rebelliousness toward my father, it really made me wonder if a woman can be saved while harboring resentment towards her father…to the degree that I even wonder if I was saved…upon repentance concerning this foundational relationship, the only thing I can say is that the Lord really did take away my heart of stone and give me a heart of flesh…previously, I really did feel, most of the time, like I was simply trying to paste goodness on my outsides…and had very little understanding on how and why to give God the glory in everything…i struggled to know what to share with others about faith in God…because knowing my own heart, I knew instinctively that my heart was stone…I didn’t know a change….not of my own, but outside of myself….now, I want to share with everyone! To tell of His goodness and what He has done for me…just thoughts…

Really, very true! I could never be the wife and mom I am now without first surrendering and finding my one identity through Christ. It is so freeing!!

Our family was taking a walk the other night and my husband and I were telling our 12 year old how proud we are of her because she really is a good girl who desires to do the will of the Lord and barely ever strays out of it (she’ll rat herself out if she does). But I felt compelled by Holy Spirit to tell her she cannot get her worth or identity out of that, she must always find it in Christ/God/Holy Spirit alone.

Too many have found worth in being “good” and simply crumble if they do one thing wrong. Being good to walk worthy of the one who saved us (love of God) and being good to gain people’s approval and have a good outward appearance (religion) are two very different things. I know, cause I lived the first 3 years as a Christian the wrong way.

I am so glad you illuminate the Christ-following view so well, Kelly. I wish I found you when I was a new Christian!

6. Katie says:

Thank you so much for writing about this! Our culture needs it!

7. [...] Part 2: The True Meaning of Home Lies in Our True Identity [...]

8. Rhonda says:

I love this article and comments. I am a pastors wife and this issue is the root of so much conflict in the lives of families. I pray the Lord will continue to show His truth.

9. Amber says:

I’m not trying to be rude, but I am just so disappointed to continue to see Mark Driscoll on your page. I love your blog, and I find a lot of inspiration here, but I just find it difficult not to be effected by the fact that you use him as an inspiration in your faith. I am not saying he doesn’t ever speak truth, but as a wise professor of my husbands said “Truth is truth, even if the devil says it.” I don’t know if you were aware of Mark Driscolls more recent “revelations and visions” (which I believe you and I have similar doctrinal beliefs on from what I’ve read from you previously) that he receives from God that are like a TV he can just turn off and on. They, in agreement with his usual nature, are very vulgar and lewd. I would post the link on here, but I am not sure the ages of the girls reading this and I think it would be inappropriate, so I will leave that up to you and any readers to look up for themselves. I would hate for people to be led astray by him. Also, I don’t know if you’ve read his relationship book, but that is also full of nasty garbage.

• Amber says:

Also, if you are looking for a bold preacher, but one with integrity, Paul Washer is excellent!

• natasha says:

ew. what a male pig. Someone else to completely distort the purpose of sex for their own benefit. Can anyone prove this is untrue about him? This is really disturbing.

• natasha says:

apparently he’s also a catholic basher. Too bad he didn’t read the CCC before he spouted off lies. Ugh. I’m going to get this new “relationship” book because I can’t believe that someone would be that arrogant to say the things he did. So I’ll read it to make sure what people on the internet are saying is in context. So far it doesn’t look good.

Amber,

No, I’m not familiar with the recent thing you suggested. I know how put off some are by his language and such, and I don’t always agree with him there, but I’ll check into this other…thank you for bringing it up.

10. [...] Part 2: The True Meaning of Home Lies in Our True Identity [...]