Mother Vision and Fertility: Inspired Beyond Today

You may have seen the new book, Three Decades of Fertility, circulating around the net. I have mentioned it here, but wanted to tell you a little bit more about this awesome project my friend, Natalie, has created.

First, you need to know Natalie is a woman of VISION. Her site is well-named and there you will find a ton of vision-inspiring work.

The important thing about vision for the Christian is that without it, we live in the moment, ignoring Christ’s command to “lay up treasures in Heaven”, and spend most of our lives dawdling in the unimportant, only to reach the end and realize we’ve tragically squandered most of the gift of this life.

That is not how God intended us to live! So as I talk about this book and the great work Natalie is doing to spur us on to a life beyond ourselves, I get excited thinking about the eternal implications.

Three Decades of Fertility takes you on a journey of ten ordinary women surrendering to an extraordinary God. It’s a book about living counter-culturally, daring to sacrifice the approval of man for a greater reward: a life lived in the loving hands of a Creator-God, trusting His sovereign goodness in the grand scheme of our existence.

Motherhood, as you already know, has been under attack for decades. Why? Because it is a powerful tool for the Kingdom in the hands of women devoted to the eternal work of making disciples. The enemy trembles at that.

So women deciding to embrace their fertility as a gift are especially the odd ones out. These stories will inspire and encourage your heart as you see the power of God magnified in the weaknesses of normal women who have dared to walk in the trusting care of a Heavenly Father.

Buy the book!

12 Responses to “Mother Vision and Fertility: Inspired Beyond Today”

1. Amber says:

This made me cry! I think I’m extra sensitive about this subject lately because of recent issues with others and their views of children. They just don’t understand how not only is it a blessing, but it’s deep and it’s hard and it’s beautiful. Not only is it the most miraculous blessing to see before your eyes, but it is a constant source of sanctification. I feel so blessed to have learned the truth about this subject when I did. If only I could surrender some of the other areas of my life in the same way.

2. Mim Hammonds says:

Just as hard as spending day in and day out loving on a child, is the pain of wanting another one, and not falling pregnant, even after 5 years. Even in this situation I am handing over my fertility to God, just in another way from all the mothers of many. Knowing he has a plan, and that he is completely good gives me peace amidst the heartache.
    Xx

• 6 arrows says:

Wise words, Mim. I’ll pray for your peace as the Lord works His plan in your life. May He bless you in many priceless ways.

Mim,

I have witnessed several friends experience the heartache of leaning on God’s sovereignty when He chooses *not* to open the womb. The pain is real and raw and I’m so sorry you are experiencing it, but thankful you can recognize His hand, even in the midst of your suffering.

I’m realizing more than ever, on the verge of turning 51 and drawing ever closer to the end of my fertility, what a profound blessing the gift of motherhood truly is.

I’ve told some of my journey here, the back and forth my husband and I have gone through in our 27 years of marriage regarding being open to receiving children according to God’s provision and timing, rather than trying to decide for ourselves how many children to have, and when. So I’ll not repeat too much of that, but will add a new chapter.

First, though, let me say that I think a book like this, talking about women who have been blessed with three decades of fertility, and what their experiences and feelings have been throughout those years, is a very important topic in this “What are you thinking?!” day and age, in terms of the blessing of children past a certain number of them or age of the parents, especially the mother.

My sixth and youngest child was born when I was 45, and while we had been for the previous seven years trusting in God’s provision of children as He willed, my husband changed his mind not a long time after the birth of our sixth child. But as I shared here recently, my husband is now open again to receiving more children, if the Lord wills.

So imagine my surprise when, only about one week after my husband changed his mind, I ovulated! That was only the second time this year, I think. 🙂

And then, my mind was on little else but, “Lord, can it be? Will there be a baby?” My thoughts went from excitement at the possibility, especially because our youngest has wanted a little sibling for so long, and I would love to have the joy of feeling a baby moving inside of me again, to a feeling of, “I can’t believe this might be happening when I’m almost 51” and “I’m afraid I’ll be too old to mother a child until I’m almost 70!”

I wanted it (pregnancy) to be so, and I didn’t want it to be so.

To make a long story a little shorter, I really started to feel overwhelmed with the roller coaster of emotions I experienced, wondering whether we had conceived. I truly did not expect that I would experience fear or dread over the possibility when I had just been so excited at my husband’s recent change of heart.

As it turns out, I did not conceive, but I certainly learned a lot just in those two short weeks about what it means to truly trust in the Lord with all my heart, and not lean on my own understanding.

As hard as the roller coaster was, I’m grateful now for the ride, and the deepening of my relationship with the Lord during that part of the journey. I know that whatever He brings my way in life, whether the blessing of children or anything else, is always for my good.

It seems like there should be some way for me to sum this up now, but maybe it’s not coming to me because the story He’s writing isn’t done yet. 🙂 But I do know that three decades of fertility have been a tremendous blessing in my life, and if there is a fourth, He will make that a beautiful thing, too.

• 6 arrows says:

And BTW, I’m not trying to scare anyone off with my admission of fear and dread. I’m just being real, and trying to determine the source of those feelings, a small part of the range of emotions I felt contemplating the possibility of another pregnancy. Was it normal human emotion, or cultural brainwashing, or…? In any case, it points to the need to constantly have our minds renewed with Truth, and the blessing of having the opportunity to burrow deeply into relationship with God while looking for answers to life’s deep questions.

6 arrows,

Thank you so much for sharing that. I think what you’ve adequately described is that we often just have a hard time falling back into His arms and trusting that His will is best for us, whichever direction that is.

4. Alana says:

I have begun fairly early menopause at 46, and am saddened because just recently I have found that my husband and I should have allowed God to plan our children.
    I’m so glad to know that there are others who have chosen to let God decided how many children they should have.

• Amber says:

Alana, I understand the regret, but also know that God chose to reveal this to you at the time He did. Even though you won’t be able to have more children, you have the opportunity to share your convictions for others and be a wonderful encouragement to those you do :).

5. shannon says:

I am so glad you posted this about this book. I had seen it advertised a few times but thought it was about getting pregnant. I, ahem, don’t have that “problem” (yet) as I’ve gotten my cycle back around day 45 postpartum, even with exclusive breastfeeding. So, I hadn’t even looked into this book as I misunderstood the title.
    Silly me. After you posted it, I bought it and my only regret is how quickly I’ve read it! Sigh… It was such a pleasure to read and the first book I’ve read all the way through in over a year! I loved reading it while being pregnant; that made it a little more “special”. I now have Mary Price’s book on hold at the library after reading a couple of the authors mentioning that book.