A Sale For You to Send Bri to Peru

My daughter, Bria, is going on a mission trip to Peru this May and in order to help her raise money for her trip, I am running a sale for the next 3 days (Sale ended)

You can read a bit more about her trip and her financial goal HERE.

We’re really excited for the opportunity for her to use her gifts and pray that the team will pour themselves out for Him. She is one task-oriented, goal-setting girl. She’s been spending extra time studying carpentry and plumbing, so I think she’ll do great on the project.

It’s also been a fun time to involve everyone in the study of the Peruvian culture and try to learn a little Spanish.

So if you feel led to assist with this effort, we will be most grateful. All profits from the sale will go directly to her.0

Our By Heart Scripture Songs CD is 25% off. It has a whole new look that I’m excited about!

Use coupon code: “peru” to get the discount.

BUY NOW

Get all the -CDs set from our 2012 Living a Legacy Conference for 50% off!!!

($40 $20)

Use coupon code: legacy

BUY NOW

48 Responses to “A Sale For You to Send Bri to Peru”

1. Claudia says:

I can tell after going to Bria’s blog what an incredible blessing she must be to your whole family! Thank you for sharing this, and for giving those of us unable to physically go to the mission field a chance to participate in the great commission!

2. Candace says:

How exciting for Bria! I just purchased a CD. The music is lovey and I know our family will enjoy listening to it.

My oldest daughter went to Costa Rica several years ago to minister to the Quebecar Indians. My second daughter is going to Africa (Uganda/Ethiopia/Kenya) for the third time this summer to love on and minister to the orphans. Our family feels strongly about missions, so it’s an honor to be a small part of your daughter’s trip. Please let us know how we can help more as her trip draws near.

3. Emily says:

Please read this and ask Bria to read it as well. It’s about the effects of international mission trips.

• Catalina says:

Excellent point, Emily. Bria could have far more impact if she donated the $2000. Peru has many tradesman who could do the job of building much more skillfully and who would be grateful for the work.

As for spreading the Gospel, there are many Christians in Peru already, with a much deeper understanding of the local culture and challenges. These Christians–especially those fluent in Spanish–would have a much better chance of connecting with the local people

If everyone planning to go simply donated their $2000 to the charity to build the church, think of the impact that would have!

• Cathy says:

The title of piece was an immediate turnoff for me. The cynicism projected in the title reflected disdain, and contempt–as though only white kids go on mission trips. My SIL, who is black, recently went on a missions trip to China, and his brother, whom we supported, went on a missions trip to Kazakhstan. The piece was nothing more than a hit piece, casting aspersions on white people, as if, somehow, being white is a pejorative, and that life is frivolous and silly. Furthermore, while I only skimmed the piece (although I skimmed it enough to understand the content), I saw NOTHING about the Gospel being given out. Moreover, it would be a huge surprise to many of my kids who have gone on multiple mission trips–that they were/are viewed w/suspicion and derision by the people to whom they ministered. What nonsense! The piece does nothing more than erect a straw man for the purpose of trashing “little white girls (and boys)” who love missions, and want to be a part of the dissemination of the Gospel. Gimme a break! The writer advocates bringing “highly-skilled volunteers” and a “few Peace Corps volunteers” to do the work, instead.

When my kids have gone/go to Mexico in the spring w/the youth group from church, or to Kazakhstan, or to South Africa, it wasn’t to be a tourist. Have you ever been to places like Tijuana, Mexico? Ever? Do you know the squalor in which people live? At our church, there are weeks and weeks of training, and the #1 purpose of going is to bring the Gospel, but not without addressing the human needs in a tangible way. The youth pastor doesn’t allow anyone to go who hasn’t shown their commitment throughout the year by ministering to others. The teens have committed themselves to a study of God’s Word, and have spent weeks preparing. Money is collected to buy things like washers and dryers for a place called the “Refuge of the Elders.” A man founded the ministry, and takes in elderly people who have been abandoned, many of whom have been left on the street by their families. He houses, feeds and cares for them. When our young people go down on their spring break, they minister to the elders by helping them bathe, shaving the men, singing to them, and washing their dust-laden feet. It doesn’t take a “highly-skilled volunteer” to do that. It just takes hard work and a willing, servant’s heart. Furthermore, the kids collect money amongst themselves when they see needs, and donate it to the people. My kids and the other kids on the teams have given their treasured possessions to the kids in TJ. They have taken their baseball hats, jackets, visors, and anything NIKE or Adidas to give to the kids who have nothing, but love the brand names. They labor in the hot sun, showering infrequently, and eat bagged lunches every day. They conduct little sports camps, and day camps for the week, drawing in kids–always, always w/the intent to proclaim the life-changing good news of the Gospel. They go year-after-year, because they’ve established relationships that are ongoing throughout the year. Our church sends down translators, and many of the teens speak Spanish.

Oh, and uh, let me clue you in Emily and Catalina, lest you actually buy into the poppycock of Pippa (the writer of the piece you referenced), about the people who go on missions trips. We send down dentists, nurses, and doctors (all volunteers from the church–”highly-skilled” enough for you?), who fix medical and teeth problems–gratis!

The teens and staff invest their lives in the Mexican people. And if that isn’t enough for you, we have general contractors who go down for a few weeks every year to build a house, or a bathroom, or any number of buildings for the Mexican people. We haul materials, paid for by the church, or rather, the people who give of their own money to the work of the Gospel, from the Bay Area, to erect the buildings and houses. The teams come back exhausted, but with hearts full of joy and happiness @ being able to witness in a tangible way what God has accomplished through His people.

Let me tell you a little about our ministries in Macedonia and Kazakhstan. Every year teams of college-aged students and adult volunteers go to those countries supporting the missionaries and a sister church in Kazakhstan. Our people have given to the Kazakhstan church to buy a piece of land for their church. Because of the government, the church has had to move every few months to different locations due to “zoning” issues (translated, they don’t want the church there). One Sunday, our pastor mentioned the financial problem of buying land there, and people gave generously to the work. BTW, our church has a food pantry, and is on the 211 network, a referral program for people in crisis. As an aside, our church takes a benevolent fund each month to help w/things like gas cards, and gift cards for the needy in the community. A couple of days a week, you can see a line of people @ our church who are financially struggling waiting for bags of food, and for other help. Several months ago, our church stopped taking money for the benevolent fund. You know why? Because they had so much, and the church didn’t want to just be sitting on the a slush fund. The offerings have since resumed, because the funds were being depleted. Anyway, back to missions. In Macedonia, we have a young missionary family whom we support as a family (and is also supported by the church), who train the Macedonian people in learning a trade and developing micro enterprises. Not too long ago, several guys from our church went there–on their own dime–to help out. A doctor from the church went, as well as several businessmen and a pastor to help the people learn to support themselves, and to present the Gospel.

Oh, and Emily and Catalina, the piece that you referenced is about a school-sponsored trip, a far cry from what missions trips are. It would behoove you to be more informed before weighing in.

Wonderfully, people like Pippa (or you two) can’t deter people who love Jesus and the Gospel from giving and sending. The need is too great to listen to the likes of her and you.

Kelly, I sent you an email.

• Emily,

This made perfect sense to me and I had actually had these thoughts already. For years, even. Questioning the actual efficiency of a team as opposed to just sending that money over to help boost the economy by workers who are more skilled.

The reality is, and I’m willing to be honest, short-term missions have a whole lot to do with our desire to awaken the compassion of the heart in a way that can only be done by going personally, to an impoverished country.

It’s true our small team will not be able to accomplish what a skilled crew may. But it can be overlooked that God could stir the hearts of some, or all of the members in a lasting, powerful way.

I think of the way we (all of humanity) *need* the handicapped and less-than-perfect humans in our lives, probably much more than they need us. While they seem to thrive and be OK with who they are and often demonstrate far more strength of character, they soften us, make us more grateful, humble and appreciative of life. They make the world better just by their presence.

Perhaps the real point behind short term mission trips is to change *us*. To soften us and make us more grateful and better able to serve wherever God eventually puts us.

If we were honest?

• Catalina says:

I appreciate your honesty and insight. However, is it right to use the members of an impoverished village in this way? Is it right to go “view the natives” in order to develop compassion?

In effect, you are saying “here is a week”s worth of inexperienced labor. We want to observe your poverty — look, no running water! — so we can become better people.”

• Catalina,

That’s isn’t the only reason. Just because a native crew might be more efficient, it doesn’t mean an American crew isn’t helping, ministering and building the Kingdom. God’s ways are not our ways. What might make sense to us may be upside down to Him. Look at the different things he did in his ministry that seem inefficient or foolish to us.

Right from the beginning of his life, God did things upside down. So it’s not enough to measure the situation with our limited specs.

My daughter has more of a heart for serving than a lot of people I know. For her, it’s all about getting to spend a week with people who are impoverished/lost/hurting…fill in the blank, and pouring herself out for that time in His name.

I think her heart will be measured accordingly, whether the most efficient thing is done or not.

• Emily says:

I agree with you on this comment. I actually think that it’s wonderful that Bria gets to leave home for awhile , experience new things and see the world.
        It has always just caused me to think who the missionary work is really for. I agree with you that it helps young people develop compassion, drive and to appreciate what they already have. We just need to always remember that the mission trips are generally for the one doing the mission than the ones who are the recipients.
        Good Luck Bria and I hope you enjoy for adventure!

• Alexandra says:

I knew you were going to get some blowback for this, Kelly, and I debated whether or not I should weigh in, but ultimately decided to. I am what most people call “handicapped,” and I want to address your points here about people without such difficulties and the role people like me play in their lives.

I lost my hearing in my 30s and am now profoundly deaf. With difficulty, I have learned to use my voice normally even though I cannot hear myself most of the time. But in public, this still presents massive difficulties. Only about 30% of English is visible on the lips. (Anyone who doubts this should go talk in front of a mirror sometime.) Even an expert lipreader, of which I am not one, can expect to miss well over half of what is said to them, and that’s a best case scenario — ideal lighting, the speaker looking right at them, no facial hair, etc. I live alone, so any company that requires the phone (instead of providing live chat on their website) is the bane of my existence. Being deaf is a very big deal. It’s a life-changer if ever there was one. And cochlear implants are not the panacea that most hearing people believe them to be, especially for adults. I shared all that to establish my experience from which I will now address what Kelly said about the handicapped.

I don’t think of myself as handicapped, most of the time. I think of myself as being part of a linguistic minority who has to be very, very creative to get through life. Or at least, I try to think of myself that way. I live alone and work from home, so I only have to deal with hearing people when I go out in public to marketplaces and such. When I go out in public, I have to get people to write things down. Or I hand them my phone with the Notes app pulled up and ask them to type it out. This gets me pitying looks or extreme impatience and annoyance. Because I speak pretty much normally, people often don’t believe I’m deaf. When people do, I am told over and over again how “inspiring” I am to go deal with public things alone. This is equal parts annoying and humbling. It is humbling to require other people’s patience to the extent that I often do. I pity the people who stand in line behind me. Truthfully, I pity them more than I pity myself, because I can deal with my life, including my deafness, just fine most of the time.

I FULLY understand that the PRIMARY way I influence other people now, post-hearing-loss, is exactly what Kelly describes here. I make people grateful that they still have their hearing. I make them more determined to monitor their children’s usages of headphones and earbuds, to protect their hearing. I make people take stock and realize that if–as is OFTEN the case–the worst thing that happened to them all day was that they got stuck in line behind me, they have a great life. Does this get old? Do I feel annoyed at all the hearing people who regard me as a walking life lesson for their children? Sometimes. I have bad days like everyone else. I have been known to roll my eyes, even to pretend I don’t notice someone trying to get my attention when I’m too emotionally or physically tired to deal with one more discussion of my disability.

But the people I resent LEAST are the ones who try. ASL (which I learned during the first two years after my diagnosis) is the easiest way for me communicate with other people. When someone who speaks my language (since the language barrier is **such** an important issue for your critics, Kelly) — even if all they know is the alphabet and how to ask me my name — steps up and tries to help, I am grateful. I feel significantly less condescended to by someone who stands there and fingerspells what a clerk is trying to say to me than by anyone else in these situations. Someone who has taken the effort to learn something of my language, someone who tries to meet me on my own terms in a world that is often hostile to my difference? I don’t think of them as a hearing savior. I think of them as someone who has avoided the myopia so common in modern society.

And I would a million times rather someone attempt to engage with me, spend the time to set up an IM chat with me to utilize my services for their business, learn the ASL alphabet and enough basic signs to help me find the restroom, tell me what time the meeting will be held, etc., than have someone write a check from their pedestal to “hire the poor deaf woman to do it.”

I hope Bria has a wonderful time on her trip.

• Alexandra,

This was such a well-articulated, insightful word. Thank you so much! And I’m glad to get to know you just a bit better ;-)

• Catalina says:

I think it”s great to send doctors, dentists, etc and would fully support that with my money. But the dozens of trips by unskilled teens? Costing tens of thousands in airfare? I think that money could be better spent. There are plenty of women in Peru who can shave the elderly and would love a job doing so.

• Cathy says:

Catalina, your ignorance of mission work is astounding. Unskilled teens from our church don’t build houses…and it doesn’t cost thousands in airfare to get to Mexico from CA. In fact, the money that is necessary to go on mission trips is raised, or given by either parents, the teens themselves, or people who attend the church to transport the kids by bus, and want to see the Gospel spread. Why should it be of concern to you how people spend their money? I would find your assessment almost laughable if it wasn’t so patently uninformed. No one gets paid to wash feet, or shave a scruffy beard, or bathe people in wheelchairs. And, please lose the seeming altruism in stating that there would be people in Peru who would be happy to have that job. First of all, I don’t know about Peru, but I DO know about TJ. These people have been abandoned, and no one is champing at the bit to care for them except people who love Jesus and want to serve Him. Catalina, please tell me of your experience on any mission field. How many have you served lately–even here in the US? When was the last time you volunteered your time for the sake of the Gospel and for the cause of Christ?

Furthermore, let’s be honest here. Are you a Christian? Do you advocate the spread of the Gospel? If not, then this dialogue is beating a dead horse, for we are on different wave lengths. Do you have a passion to “…Go into all the world and and proclaim the Gospel to the whole creation” (Mark 16:15), as Jesus commanded.

I welcome your answers.

• Cathy says:

I just noticed that Emily promoted this link as piece about the “effects of international mission trips.” It is no such thing. As I wrote in my extensive comment earlier, this piece is NOT about the ineffectiveness of mission trips. Rather, Pippa’s piece merely mocks school-sponsored trips. No mention of the Gospel is made in her hyperbolic drivel. The more I look closely at the piece, the more inclined I am to disbelieve large chunks of it. It is full of generalizations, and rhetoric. It is full of “white guilt (why one should feel guilty about something about which one has no control is a mystery)”, and ridiculous embellishment about kids laying bricks in the hot sun, and then skilled brick-layers coming in the dead of night to redo the bricks, only to have the unqualified students do it all again the next day. So, the bricks would dry overnight and be completely dry by the time the students began the task again the next day?? Seriously? Please, please, put up a link w/an ounce of believability, and I might take it seriously.

In the meantime, may the Lord do a work in and through Kelly’s daughter and the rest of the team, and those w/whom the Gospel is shared.

4. Catalina says:

Ok, I do see what you are saying. May I make a suggestion? There are hurt/impoverished/lost people in this country that she could serve better during that same week, better because they both speak the same language.

• May I make a suggestion? How ’bout you let me and her Dad and her make decisions about how we want to spend our time and money. You don’t have to donate to the trip if you think it’s a bad idea.

By the way, she does serve here in this country. A lot.

• Catalina says:

Actually, it is my money, which you are asking for.

• Cathy says:

I’ll tell my daughter not to send you a fund-raising letter when she goes on a missions trip this summer. But, should you get one, simply shred the letter or trash it. That seems to be the obvious answer if you don’t want to give.

• 6 arrows says:

Catalina, you clearly don’t understand the privilege of being presented the opportunity to give to a noble, Christ-honoring cause.

Now, if we were talking about the government, well, they TAKE your money, in quantities and for purposes not decided by you individually, and you can’t say, no thanks, I don’t want my money going for that.

I have a feeling you don’t have *nearly* the problem with that as you have with being asked to VOLUNTARILY give to the cause of Christ.

I, too, look forward to your response to Cathy’s 4:05 pm post.

• CAtalina says:

I am not the kind of Christian you are, if that makes any sense. I don’t see the point of giving money to a person who hasn’t bothered to learn Spanish or to earn the money herself. Frankly, it disturbs me to see such an entitlement attitude, for a trip that is largely for personal growth ( as Kelly herself said)

Let’s see… I wanted to address your other questions. I have been to Mexico many times, never to Peru. I work in a service field, so I help the poor every day, not just one week a year, I do not go on missions since I don’t have the type of skills that would benefit the poor there. However I financially support projects that send doctors, dentists and other trained personnel to third world countries. As for spreading the Gospel, surely you are aware that Peru has many Christians there already.

And,yes, I do think speaking the language is vitally important. First of all, it is respectful of the people there. Secondly, how are you going to show them anything? Plus, it shows you’ve made a bit of effort, other than asking for money from strangers on the internet,

• Cathy says:

OK, let me address your non answers. What kind of a Christian are you, then? The Bible is clear. There is only one way to God, and that is through His Son, Jesus. Romans 10:9-10 succinctly states that you must confess Jesus Christ as Lord, believing that God raised Him from the dead, and you must repent. There aren’t several different ways to get there.

As to your other comments…in no particular order…an “entitlement attitude??” How so? Kelly is SELLING something….that means you actually get something for your “investment.” Oh, but to be consistent, do you give the Girl Scouts the same treatment, i.e., that you are bothered by their “entitlement attitude” when they try to sell “strangers” their overpriced cookies outside a grocery store?

So, if you work in a “service field,” then you’re being PAID for your employment. See the difference, Catalina? When my kids have gone on missions trips there was little, if any, sightseeing. They went to minister and to serve. When Jesus said to go into all the world to preach the Gospel, it was a command.

Why would I be “surely aware that there are Christians” in Peru? I’ve not been to Peru, and neither have you.

You know, Catalina, your thinly-veiled derision and scorn toward the spread of the Gospel wrapped in a cloak of pseudo concern is all too transparent. I submit that it isn’t necessarily the messenger but the message. If it wasn’t, why would it stick in your craw? Why are you trippin’ about it? Don’t give any money. Problem solved. The problem is, though, that you don’t want anyone to give to missions. Here’s another question for you…how do you feel about missionaries going to foreign fields? Your answer will tell me a lot.

Finally, as to learning the language, and showing respect for the folks who live in that country, does your mandate apply to tourists, as well? I mean, when someone goes to Paris, do you find it objectionable if they don’t know French before they go? And, if you visit a foreign country, do you think that you should spend a few years learning the language of the people there before going? I do hope that your standards apply to you. Do you think it’s disrespectful for so many of our politicians and diplomats, including the president, and VP, to visit foreign countries without knowing the language?

Oh, and your non answer to my question about whether or not you advocate the dissemination of the Gospel is unacceptable. You “answered” my question with a non sequitur, and then punctuated it w/a question. C’mon, stop skirting my questions, and give some straight answers. Have the courage of your convictions, and speak up.

• 6 arrows says:

I didn’t ask you any questions. Cathy did.

If you had read Kelly’s and Bria’s posts more carefully, and comprehended them, you would know how uninformed you appear when you say, “I don’t see the point of giving money to a person who hasn’t bothered to learn Spanish or to earn the money herself.”

You’re right — you don’t see the point, and you won’t until the blinders come off. Until you submit to the Lord doing a mighty work in you to clear up your distorted or nonexistent understanding of The Great Commission, you would do well to get off the backs of people who do understand it. People who see the the big picture, the gospel picture, the proverbial forest for the trees, if you will. You’re looking at the trees and are not even seeing them clearly.

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. Colossians 3:1-2

• 6 arrows says:

Furthermore, Catalina, regarding your statement, “I am not the kind of Christian you are…”: You are making a mockery of the term Christian, and Jesus Christ Himself. Not that that bothers you or anything. A Christian is a true follower of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, Who gave us the Great Commission to advance the spread of the gospel among the nations.

Through your unrelenting efforts to turn others away from giving of themselves in the way the Lord leads them in this cause, you show yourself to be an enemy of the cross of Christ. You are “ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes.” (Romans 1:16)

You are wasting your time here, Catalina/CM/whoever you are. And you’re not standing in the way of God and His almighty power to work His will. “My [God's] word shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

May the Lord be pleased to work mightily in the hearts of those who hear the gospel delivered by these who act as the hands and feet of Christ.

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

• Sue M. says:

Absolutely!

5. JenniferC says:

Did I just read that correctly? The Problem with Little White Girls and Boys.

6. JenniferC says:

So if I’m understanding correctly, it’s ok to take little white girl/boy money but we really don’t want to see your little white faces in our country. I don’t believe that is how the people in Peru feel. I believe that is how racist/elitist Americans feel.

7. JenniferC says:

Also, mission work is not about handing out money. It is about giving your time and teaching about Jesus Christ.

8. Jane says:

Unbelievable. Honestly, Kelly, I don’t know how you keep your cool as well as you do.

Bria does have a “skill”, and a very valuable one, the most important one, spreading the love of God and the Gospel of Christ as she has been commanded to do. Just sending money is not going to fulfill the Great Commission, but obviously, your detractors aren’t interested in that.

• Jane,

The more I have thought about this whole discussion the more I keep going back to just what you said. The efficiency of the gospel can’t be measured in dollars.

The above is laughable, ridiculous “arguments.”

Since we live in Vegas and have a Spanish speaking church as one of our churches, our church travels to TJ frequently. Showing the love of Christ impacts them as much as the many gifts/buildings/school supplies/food. By our desire to go down there, spend our money and our time, we are telling them THEY AE WORTH SOMETHING TO US. Money is just money. It is what we do with it that makes it important.

I’m telling this story to exemplify what I mean, not to be accused of bragging. There is a husband and wife homeless couple who we drive past twice a week after softball practice. Tuesday, my daughter told me she felt led to give them something. I had a $20 in my purse, so we decided on that. On the way home, she handed the woman the money. The woman asked my daughter if she was sure we wanted to give a $20 to her. We told her we were praying for them (he has been looking for work, out of work 3 months). She was crying. I cried all the way home–this woman didn’t think she was worth a gift of $20, really next to nothing in my daily life. It wasn’t that we gave her the money. By stopping, my daughter touching her hand, and us telling her we were praying for her we told her she had value, had worth and her current situation didn’t change that. That affected her more than the money, the money was just a way of showing her that.

That is what missions are, in part, are about because that is what Christ is all about. I do not believe you can be a Christian and not understand this.

Also, Kelly, you used to have a donate button on this site. do you have a paypal or something? We’d like to donate to Bri’s trip.

10. CM says:

I think Bria would learn so much if she took a job to earn the money for her trip

• Cathy says:

I have never written to much on anyone’s blog as I’ve written on this post, but what is with you people? What business is it of yours who gives of THEIR own money to Bria? Good grief, let. It. go.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I’m sure others here will agree, Bill. The use of name calling and cussing negates points unanswerable as it makes me think I am discussing things with a juvenile.

12. Michelle says:

Thank you for the opportunity to support this noble cause! The CDs are an added blessing! God bless you, Bria, during this kingdom-minded trip!

13. Thank you all so much for your help, love, prayers and support for Bria. She is overwhelmed by your goodness. I’m sure I’ll post updates from the trip in May, so for now, we’re just praying for God to bring the increase in this work as He sees fit.

Together with your gifts and a (very successful) bake sale Bria and a friend had yesterday, she’s almost got the money she needs!!!

Chill, Bill, and get a life. (Also, put a period at the end of that sentence instead of a comma.)