Rockin’ and Rulin’: Mothers Who’ve Shaped the World

Mothers Who've Shaped the WorldSince I read the first chapter of the biography of D.L. Moody to my children, I’ve been mulling over what I read about Moody’s mother.  I was impressed by Moody’s influence when I read his biography as a child; but now, his mother amuses me more because I attribute so much of his success to her.

If we are to be mothers who desire to live lives worthy of the calling of Christ, devoted to bringing up godly children, determined to love fiercely as wives, committed to fighting in the battle that rages against the family, then by all means let us look back and glean from those who have done it so well, mothers who’ve shaped the world.

That is what the “Rockin’ & Rulin'” series is all about when you see the title.  (Taken, of course, from the quote:  “The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.”)

One word describes Betsy Moody:  PLUCK.  And yet the word scarcely touches her.

This is the first of several posts where I will include excerpts about this incredible woman of faith and tenacity.

To begin this series about Betsy Holton Moody, I leave you with this:

To rule a household [alone] of seven sturdy boys and two girls, the oldest twelve years old, required no ordinary tact and sound judgment, but so discreet was this loyal mother that to the very end she made “home” the most loved place on earth to her family, and so trained her children as to make them a blessing to society.”

Part 1 Betsy Moody

Part 2 Betsy Moody

The best, natural products for face: Retinol Moisturizer, Vitamin C Serum, & Coconut, Honey & Aloe Cleanser

14 Responses to “Rockin’ and Rulin’: Mothers Who’ve Shaped the World”

1. Lisa says:

I’m looking forward to this! It always seems that mothers of missionaries had such unique personalities. And, if you’re open to suggestions for future subjects in this series, I highly recommend the mother of Nate Saint…we read his biography last year (by Janet and Geoff Benje), and I found myself very inspired by her. 🙂

2. Mrs. Santos says:

wow. I can’t wait.

3. Kim M says:

I love bios!

4. Looking forward to hearing about that. I need that kind of “pluck”!

5. Niki says:

When I checked my email this morning and read your post, I was amazed at the timing. Just this morning, I heard Adrienne Rogers talk about the wonders of womanhood. He talked about how women in the Bible (named several)who wanted children and if barren were desperate before God that He would bless them with children. He talked a lot today about mothers. Then I read your post.

I can’t wait to read more on this topic. I want to be the kind of woman that trains children to be mighty for the Kingdom, and positive contributors to society. I want them to make a difference, not just be mediocre citizens. One of my sons wants to be a missionary pilot and we are doing everything we can think of to cultivate this desire.

Am looking forward to reading more…bring it on!! 🙂

6. Niki says:

…and we are doing everything we can to think of ways to cultivate this desire…sorry for the mistake! :/

7. Jennifer says:

I am excited for this one!

Like it!

9. Mrs. Klause says:

Would you share the title, author and ISBN of the book that you are reading about Moody??

10. Word Warrior says:

Sure…

Dwight L. Moody, author (son) W.R. Moody
    ISBN# 0916441156

11. Niki says:

I was so bummed! I thought it would be so cool to read a bio with the kids on D. L. Moody while you were doing posts on this. You know, make everything a teachable moment even for the mama! Would you believe that there was not one single book on him in our library and the girls behind the desk had never heard of him?! I must admit that I confused his story with Martin Luther’s when we were trying to find out if they had any books on him…a very embarassing thing indeed for a homeschool parent!!! Even after searching the internet, they still were only vaguely aware of having heard of him, or Martin Luther for that fact. What is our world coming to?!

Thanks for sharing the book info with us, too.

12. Word Warrior says:

Niki,

Amazing, isn’t it? We are also reading Martin Luther right now (such a great read!) and just this morning I pointed out the author’s mentioning that Luther was “world-renowned” in his day. Very few men become world celebrities, and yet so few CHRISTIANS, even, know what Martin Luther did to stand for truth in a day when the entire church was corrupt.

13. brandy says:

How did she do that? 🙂

14. I believe every parent has an opportunity from the moment a child takes their first breath, to make a positive impact in their life. A child should never avoid going home as an adult. It should be the most natural of desires to spend whatever time is left with the individual(s) who formed your kind heart, compassion, and sense of duty to family, community, and country.