Julie Giles was arrested because her son missed too many days at school. Matt Walsh speaks about it:

“Schools are just schools. They are places that teach students how to say the ABCs, how to add two plus two, and how to use lube and get abortions. You know, the basic stuff. They are not foster parents. They are not kings. They are not gods.

Our children are not owed to them. They exercise no ownership over them. In a free country (so, not this one) a school would be a tool for parents to use. A place to which parents delegate some temporary and conditional authority. Authority that can be revoked at any time, for any reason. Period….

“While we whine and cry about so many other government intrusions, none of them — not a single one — has been as effective at fundamentally changing our values and our views on life as compulsory government schooling.”

In the mean time, though, while we await the general reawakening of the American people, the best course of action, individually, is to search for alternatives outside of government education. Homeschool is a great choice. If you can’t do that, look into private schools or charter schools. If all else fails, I always suggest releasing your child into the wilderness to be raised by coyotes before sending them to government educational factories. They’ll probably end up more mentally and emotionally adjusted than they would in our current public school system.

In lieu of all of those options, public school might be your only remaining choice. If you go that route, just realize what it means. You are forfeiting your parental rights. The schools have made this terrible and unconstitutional fact clear, and the courts have backed them up. Make sure you understand that going in.

And, as a side note, make sure your kid is taking his vitamin C. After all, if he gets a cold you might end up in prison.”

(And I would add that if public school is your only option, you (and every parent) should understand how serious this breach of authority is, explain it to your friends, and bang on every door, send letters, phone calls and petitions to every official, demanding that authority of parents be returned.)

Read the rest of Your Parental Rights Don’t Exist When You Send Your Kid To Public School, by Matt Walsh

19 Responses to “Why You Should Be Outraged That Your Parental Rights are Stripped When You Send Your Child to Public School”

1. Kelly says:

Hmm..I went to public school & wasn’t taught how to use lube. Or how to get an abortion. I proudly send my son to public school. I also work full-time outside the home, due to necessity as does my husband, his father. My child is a straight A student & well adjusted. He likes going to school. Due to the fact that his father and I work different shifts not 9-5, even if we were to homeschool our son, there’s no way either one of us would have any time for outside socialization activities. Plus I STINK at Math. We are barely making it let alone have the funds to purchase homeschool materials. Those are not cheap.

• Kelly,

The article wasn’t an attack on parents who send their kids to school. It was a reality check about the facts. Your rights have been greatly compromised and will continue to get worse. It is being played out in front of us. This fact should be alarming, at best.

And I will say, to encourage you on your other points, that we cut back to one income and started homeschooling when we couldn’t afford it, and yet somehow we did. (My husband was making $19,000/yr. and our 3rd child was on the way.) Homeschooling materials ARE cheap (do you have a library) and I would argue one could homeschool for free.

You misunderstand homeschooling if you think it can’t be done. Also, outside activities (which you would have time for) should pale in comparison for what’s at stake.

Just a few thoughts if you do ever consider.

2. Nicole says:

Our public school teaches abstinence. If you don’t want your child hearing something controversial the child can sit out of the class for that discussion. Our Christian club (fcs) was bigger than the Christian clubs at local Christian schools!!! Public school is a great thing for us.

• Nicole,

Sex education was just an aside from the point of the article (and very few schools teach abstinence). Parental rights is the topic.

• Guest says:

All schools in Arizona are mandated to teach abstinence. Look it up. I’m sure there are others.

I never heard a word about lube or abortions when I attended public school.

• I did. You’re wrong.

State Policies on Sex Education states:
          “Requires that school districts provide sex education that is medically accurate and age- and developmentally appropriate in grades kindergarten through 12. Creates additional requirements for sex education, including teaching the benefits of delaying sexual activity and the importance of using effective contraceptives to prevent unintended pregnancy, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.”

Arizona laws asks schools to “stress” abstinence. An entirely different thing than “mandated to teach abstinence” and certainly a loophole for teachers who think that’s a bad idea.

• Guest says:

Here’s the Arizona law (ARS 15-716)

“B. Each district is free to develop its own course of study for each grade. At a minimum, instruction shall:

1. Be appropriate to the grade level in which it is offered.

2. Be medically accurate.

3. Promote abstinence.”

No loopholes there. And many other states mandate the same.

• You originally said “mandated to teach abstinence.” That means abstinence is absolutely taught, without exception. “Promote abstinence” is a different thing, and certainly left open to different applications.

(Even though this is completely off topic, and should be far less concerning than the point of the article.) I would also venture to say, it matters little what a particular sex ed class teaches (though they have zero right to be teaching ANY education on sex), because children will be taught all sorts of deviant sexual behaviors from their peers, which will be far more impacting than what a teacher has to say.

• Cayce says:

Kelly,

In addition to your point, the law referenced by “Guest” is not about sex education in Arizona. The law she references addresses Arizona’s approach to AIDS education. Two different things.

3. Amy says:

I just want to mention that charter schools are public schools.

4. Kat says:

Well Kelly, take some time to work in the classroom or the school library. Review the standardized testing. I worked in the classroom one day a week and the school library once a week (20 years ago) and I will tell you it was an EYE OPENER! Oh, the stories I could tell! Until I was actually physically at the school and involved, I had no idea what was going on. My kids never told me anything. Children can seem well-adjusted and happy but many wear a mask or simply don’t understand what is happening and how their thoughts are being shaped.

Being a straight “A” student means nothing. So were my kids. The standards are so low in the public school classroom, anyone who shows up and behaves can get “A” grades. They were using my son to help educate the kids who weren’t doing well. He wasn’t getting the education he deserved. In addition, the testing contained a lot social engineering. I had no idea what was going on until I was physically in the classroom.

I also got an eye (and ear) full when I attended the parental preview of my daughter’s junior high school sex ed video series. There were two parents in attendance: myself and one other father. Three classrooms were involved, which should have meant 90 kids’ parents should have been in attendance. As I said, two parents showed up and we were the only parents who opted out of that state sponsored sex ed. Had the other parents bothered to attend, I am pretty sure they would have opted out too: what junior high school student needs to carry a condom in their wallet to be prepared? That is what the video was promoting, among other things. I was completely shocked. When I questioned that horrific advice, I was told by the science teacher: “lots of 13 year old children are having sex.”

In the grade school library there was a book titled “What Is Happening To My Body?” This was one of several books that I found offensive. This book discussed mutual masturbation, anal sex and a lot of other topics which I did not consider appropriate for grade school. When I questioned the librarian, she told me that only 6th grade students were allowed to check those types of books out of the library. Sorry but that didn’t make me feel any better about those books being in a grade school library.

If you want to know what your children are learning, go to the school, work in the classroom and find out! After my experience, I quit work and home schooled. At the time I quit work, I was making more than my husband. Losing that income was very difficult. After I quit work, we didn’t have a lot of things that most people take for granted but I will NEVER regret putting my kids above a nice house, the ability to take vacations, the ability to eat out, etc. Many people believe that they can’t quit and home school but typically they are simply refusing to make the necessary sacrifices. We lived in travel trailers for 8 years. My kids never felt deprived. Make the right choices for your kids! If you don’t there will be a price to pay down the road. I saw it with many of my friends kids. Many of those kids have made some very poor choices in their lives. The problems didn’t start until their high school years but the pattern was established by the foundation established in their early years.

• Kat,

Very interesting story! I appreciate your willingness to see with open eyes. And I agree with this:

“After I quit work, we didn’t have a lot of things that most people take for granted but I will NEVER regret putting my kids above a nice house, the ability to take vacations, the ability to eat out, etc.”

It truly became “where there’s a will there’s a way.” Nothing could be more true.

• Erin says:

My husband is a teacher and we homeschool, even though it is threatening his job. People are curious and many have asked questions over the past several years.

I am quite surprised that no one has ever asked this,”What do you know about what goes on at school that we don’t?”

I’ve had to conclude that most people don’t really want to know and when Kat pulls back the curtain, they’ll believe it’s not like that in their school.

5. Meredith says:

Hahaha!! I love the suggestion to send the kids to be raised by coyotes! Seriously, though, public schooling has become a sacred cow in this country, and people refuse to see it for what it is. My oldest went to public school Kindergarten in a small town that prides itself on being conservative. The first day of school he asked me what “lesbian” meant because he heard it on the bus. He was also sucker punched on the playground by some random kid, a fact which another mother had to inform me of THREE days later since his teacher apparently didn’t think I needed to know about it. After that year we began homeschooling and haven’t looked back. Even if the schools weren’t failing miserably educationally and still held up the Judeo-Christian ethic, I would still homeschool because the system is a blight on family life. The school dictates so much of a family’s day…the morning rush, pick-up in the afternoon, then the homework crunch, perhaps more activities at the school in the evening, and then a rush to get to bed to do it all over again, five days a week, 9+ months a year. No thanks. The freedom found in homeschooling and the way it enriches our family life is priceless. We’ve had some terrible storms and flooding in Texas lately, but we’ve been able to sleep late when the thunder/lightning have kept my little ones up at night, we’ve taken the opportunity to learn more about weather, and have the time to help family/friends clean up the flood/wind damage. The time is ours. That’s priceless!

6. Alexandra says:

Kelly,
    I love reading your blog. As a pastor’s wife I have to be very careful about what I say, because the priority is to shepherd and change the hears of people first. I encourage all parents to consider homeschool and why, but have never come out and spoken boldly against public schools; although I agree with everything this article says. I appreciate your boldness and often want to speak out on certain things more freely, but feel I then drive a wedge between myself and others or am accused of not keeping the priority the Gospel. Anyways, I enjoyed reading this.
    -Alexandra

• Alexandra,

Thank you. And as you minister to the women in your circle, just pray for the right words and opportunities to share the truth. It’s a terribly volatile topic.