The BEST Thing You Can Do for Your Kids When You Feel Like A Bad Mom

It’s a long, arduous road, this parenting gig. There are the tiring years of baby and toddlerhood, when you’re too sleepy to really enjoy it, and then the teen years crash upon you, and suddenly, between the emotional outbursts and vague feelings of alienation, you realize those former years were really pretty great and you grieve that you didn’t take it in more deeply.

And then there are many of you, like me, who are doing the whole gamut at one time and frankly, some days you don’t know which way you’re going. Nursing, changing diapers, teaching 6 year olds to read, trying to decipher your temperamental teen, keeping in touch with your married one, keeping the house in order, being a good wife, maybe even running a home business–all on not enough sleep and without a detailed parenting manual.

And so it is that you may or may not burst into tears watching a movie when a mother snuggles her baby because you suddenly feel that the only time you were ever enough was just in those early weeks when your baby didn’t need anything except for you to be there for him.

Wait…

Something tells me that is still the most important thing and we try to make it all bigger than it is. We will never be enough for any human being. We weren’t meant to be someone else’s everything. We were meant to give of ourselves, from our strengths, to those around us as they learn to navigate through life. We were meant to be there. And that goes beyond our children. It extends to friends, family, neighbors and the guy on our right and left at any given time.

The single most important thing you will ever do for yourself is to be available for others. It will most determine your “success”, your happiness and your impact on the world.

So now take it back to your children: they don’t need you to be the best crafter or the funniest, or the most intelligent or the coolest mom. They need you to be the mom that’s there–fully there, physically, emotionally and spiritually. They need to know you are a safe place, a helpful place, a rock that doesn’t move, no matter what they do. There to read, to listen, to smile, to really hear what they’re saying, to say “I think you’re important.” To share meals with, to watch as they run and play, to teach them simply by doing your own thing beside them sometimes. To remind them how all our gifts come from God and how life is full of unexpected joy if we look close enough. To be a steady when life is wobbly. To be a comfort when they hurt. To share, to hug, to live beside.

That will be the greatest factor in the health of your relationship with them as they grow up and the kind of adults they become.

And another thing: stop beating yourself up already. Don’t be deceived by the lies you tell yourself about who you are. Though sometimes weak, you are capable. Though sometimes needy, you’re a giver. Though sometimes tired, you can dig deep and find stamina because this job is more than a job. It’s your calling and it’s the one thing worth giving all you’ve got.

So when you don’t know what to do, BE THERE. And you’ll be doing the best thing.

18 Responses to “The BEST Thing You Can Do for Your Kids When You Feel Like A Bad Mom”

1. Linnie says:

I so desperately needed to read this.
    I pray you have a blessed 2017, overflowing with health and provision for ALL your needs.
    Much love

2. Jan Jones says:

Thank you so much. Truly, God is speaking to me through you today. I so needed this encouragement, this direction. Especially today. Thank you.

3. Cindy says:

Thank you Kelly. I, too, am in the middle of having kids of all ages and so this resounded with me so well. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. I am always blessed when an email comes in from you!! Blessings for 2017!

4. Mrs. R. says:

I, too, am raising all ages! These words came out of my mouth TODAY as I was looking at an old photo album of our family: “I was a good mom when I had 3 or 4 kids.” I feel so inadequate every. single. day. I know – it’s b/c I AM inadequate, which is why I need the Lord! Thank you, Kelly, for reminding us that sometimes it really is as simple as being PRESENT – physically, mentally, emotionally.

5. Cecilia says:

I’m saving this one. I get so caught up and agitated with all the bazillion details and do’s of a large family, and so needed the reminder that the important thing is to be there, kindly, interestedly. Thank you, Kelly. I always appreciate your posts.

6. Diana says:

First of all, wow! I didn’t know you had a child married! (I’m so impressed… that seems like a whole new world at this point.)

Secondly, THANK YOU for this post. I’m going to be printing it out to read. Sometimes it is so discouraging to see that no matter HOW hard I work, I just can’t do it all. Not even close. Your article is a huge encouragement.

I always benefit so much from your posts. I know you don’t have a lot of time to write, but I always appreciate your writing when you can stop by!

7. Alyson Hodges says:

Wow, you hit the nail on this one Kelly. This past week, and culminating today, I have been feeling like I can’t do it all, and failing at all of it. Thank you and God Bless you!

8. Zelda says:

WOW!!! Thank you sooooo much for your encouragement!!! This has opened my eyes to a new way of looking at things on those days I feel overwhelmed and “not enough / not a good enough Mom”. God is the only one who will ever satisfy fully and be enough for me, my hubby and our kids. I can rest in that and enjoy the journey more!
    Zelda.

9. It varies on a case-by-case Empires, nation-states and other forms of civilization don’t collapse Besides, what is ‘falling’ really? Most civilizations don’t die out, they just Can you really say that the Eastern Roman Empire died when they got conquered by the ottomans? The people stayed there, most of their stuff remained The people did not become ottomans just because they got new ottoman Can’t you say that the Roman Empire didn’t die in the 40s when Julius Caesar killed the republic? I for one think that the Republican period of the Roman Empire was the best Anyway, you wanted a general answer: If conquered: The rulers are deposed, the elite is forced to adapt or they are deposed as well, the conquering soldiers pillage and rape for a bit and the survivors get new rulers and maybe new gods If destroyed by disease/natural factors: The people die, the buildings and land get taken over by someone Many just wane like a flower that has been plucked from the ground, like the Hapsburg’s Austrian empire that went away over the

10. over here says:

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess
    I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any helpful hints for inexperienced blog writers?
    I’d certainly appreciate it.