The women’s march that took place the day after the presidential inauguration leaves me with a deep sense of anguish, not hope, for the women in this country. As a Christian woman who is also a human being, who obviously shares the same ideals of feminism as far as it includes women being treated with equal value and worth, I grieve for the anger and vitriol that lies within the hearts of women in our country. But more than that, I grieve for the children who will bear the brunt of that anger in the name of choice and freedom.
No, these women don’t represent me and many other women I know. In the name of “demanding rights and respect, value and dignity” the same women demonstrate anything but those qualities and expect to be taken seriously. The same women who claim to not be able to afford birth control and demand to have all their health care for free, litter the ground with pads and tweet their “can’t afford it” messages on an I-phone 7.
In my opinion, this is going backwards. It’s an embarrassment to women and if they were actually treated the way they are acting, it would be far worse than history has seen in a while.
So what I’m telling my girls is:
- Fight injustice with dignity and compassion, but make sure it’s actually an injustice. As in, fight for the millions of women (and men) who will die this year at the hands of the merciless who fight for their deaths. Fight for true equality for all humans, and do it with integrity and poise.
- It is not a free country when a living, breathing person can be legally ripped out of its mother. Rights to her body end when those rights violate the rights of another human. Be women who follow Jesus’s example of putting others interests before your own. Nothing is so ugly as demanding even death of another human to rid yourself of an inconvenience.
- Behave according to your intrinsic value and you’ll be taken seriously and respected.
- Don’t idolize immoral musicians and celebrities and authors who spew vulgarity for a living and then throw a tantrum when a crude man takes political office. That is terribly inconsistent.
- Jesus Christ was the true liberator of women and following Him will bring you all the freedom and rights and value you ever dreamed of.