The Secret to Abundant Life

There is always another floor to sweep, another closet to arrange, the yard to mow, the thing to repair.

We are never done, but we keep working like we think we can get done.

And life gets crowded with the essentials and we lose our smiles.

And kindness.

And we become more automatic than full, creative, life-filled creatures.

“I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly.” -Jesus

Abundant life.

That’s not better cars and bigger houses and more vacations.

In fact, there’s irony in “abundance.”

The more we have the more we have to keep up with and repair and maintain.

Abundance is a fullness of life, only possible through the grace and love our Lord Jesus can give us.

It’s a spiritual abundance that fills us with security and peace, knowing that even if it doesn’t all get done, there is more to life than my check list.  This life will end and we will go to scoop up our stored treasures.

Abundance spills out of me onto those around me.  And even while I must do the daily things that beckon me, they don’t own me and that knowledge gives me back my smile and lets me remember the most important things in life–

the people here.

Smile first, hug always, never be too busy to listen–really, fill a need, forgive no matter what, and follow the prompting that tells you to “stop and love” and your life will grow into abundance.

28 Responses to “The Secret to Abundant Life”

1. Katrina says:

Thanks so much for this – I really needed the reminder today.

2. Darcy says:

Thank you for the sweet reminder!

3. Tricia says:

“We are never done, but we keep working like we think we can get done.
    And life gets crowded with the essentials and we lose our smiles. And kindness.” What a wonderful way to put things into perspective, Kelly! It helps me not put unrealistic expectations on myself, and instead remember to find out day by day, and even moment by moment, what GOD expects of me right then. And since we know that God is love, that’s a very good starting point to finding out what God expects of us…

4. Heather says:

Fantastic post!!!!!!!! THANK you so much for the important reminder!!!!
    Heather

5. ladyscott says:

Thanks so much for this. Life has suddenly screeched to a halt in my house, yet the world keeps spinning outside. Things are getting neglected around the house as we deal with my husband’s serious illness. Thankfully, he is on the mend and things’ll start spinning again. In the meantime, I’m trying hard not to be discontented.

6. Brooke says:

I read this after a morning of playing games and tickle fests, a relaxing afternoon at the beach with picnic lunch, leftovers for supper, and family movie night…thank you Kelly, for your continued ministering to the hearts of women everywhere…and…CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 🙂

PS: LOVED the watermelon pictures. We ate a whole watermelon in our house today…and thought of those precious babies in your last post….

7. mariah says:

Great post…really encouraging! Something I’ve actually been thinking a lot about too.

8. Kim M says:

I feel the same way!

9. ~in NOT of~ says:

Perfect post, and perfect timing for me! I’ve got a precious two week old baby girl and a house full of sick children and even a sick husband. I’m trying to keep myself and baby from hetting sick while caring for my other children and husband. Last week our house flooded. It has just been one thing after another and I am having a hard time keeping myself in check. I’m going to throw a smile on and hug my children this morning. My husband too. Thanks Kelly!!!

10. Jennifer says:

One of my favorites, Kelly! I’ve saved about seven of your best articles now 🙂 And that doesn’t even include some of the poetry, which I’ve also saved separately (including your quote about judging).

11. CJ says:

Thank you so much!!!! I have been reading your blog for awhile and I have to tell you how much I appericate everything!

12. RaShell Southerland says:

Thank you! “Stop and love”- I am praying the Lord will bring those words to rememberance today along with “choose joy” and “praise is a magnet and a motivator”. Thank you so much for sharing. I need this today.

13. Joyce says:

You are such a jewel.

14. Mindy says:

This is such a great reminder, and one I really needed to hear!!

15. Thank you for writing this post Mrs. Crawford. It’s so true that we ‘we become more automatic than full, creative, life-filled creatures.’, and this post is a reminder to me to not to let myself do it so easily. Thank you for your faithfulness to your family and to God. The world needs more women like you.

16. Meliss says:

This is me. This is exactly what has happened to me. And I have lost all my joy.

I’m going to print this out so I can read it again and again, because I can’t even digest the second part of what you wrote at this moment in time.

Thank you, God bless.

• Kelly Crawford says:

Oh Meliss, praying this morning that He will restore the joy of His salvation!

• Fern says:

Father, thank you for this soul. Help her today to find joy, even if in a small way and even if through tears. Let her feel your presence to know she is not alone; she does not have to bear the weight because you did when you carried the cross to Calvary. Grant her strength and small victories that slowly grow into victorious, joy-filled life.

Thank you for our salvation. Thank you saving us from ourselves. Mold us into your image that we may accurately reflect who you are to the decaying world around us.

I ask this in the power of Jesus name, Amen.

17. Sarah says:

Thank you so much for this! I love and NEED quick snippets of wisdom and encouragement to do what I know is right and beautiful. Because I forget all too often! I am also going to print this out like the above commenter.

18. Jana says:

As always – timely!
    It amazes me AGAIN how God is using your distant words across an ocean, time zones, seasonal differences, circumstantial differences to confirm His whisper that I need Him. That the peace He brings does not mean the day’s crowded to-do list will vanish, but that I can see past all the things I (think) I need and indeed need to do, to Him, to grace, (truth)fullness… ultimate abundance. Thank you.

19. Carla says:

Outstanding beautiful TRUTH! Thank you so much!

20. Charlotte Moore says:

Hi Kelly,

I am the one that let you know I had been getting 2 of your post. I sent you a reply telling you it was WordPress from the first one. I just got it back saying it was a failed delivery. Just wanted to let you know I tried to reply.

21. […] up this week is The Secret to the Abundant Life.  I needed this reminder about what is […]

22. Diana says:

Thank you so much! I am printing this out, because I SO need it! I get so overwhelmed and exhausted just trying to keep up with the MESS, and no matter how hard I try, I can’t. Thank you for the reminder that our to-do list doesn’t own us – oh, how I need to remember this!!